The first church, Central Methodist Church, was built on the site and opened on the 19th October 1879. Historical plaques commemorating this can be found on the lawn on the front of the church and on the side fence in Church Street. It was replaced by an impressive wooden building in September 1890. It was demolished in February 1966 to make way for the present octagonal structure. The new church building was completed in June 1966.